The Black and Decker JS660 jigsaw has a 5-amp variable-speed motor, which produces from 800 to 3,000 rpm of speed and the smart select dial this saw is ready to take on a variety of cutting situations.The smart select dial has a choice of seven setting and with its new technology will automatically sets the optimal orbital setting for any job which takes the guesswork out for the operator to figure out the right type of cut.
This feature, along with a few others that come standard with this jigsaw make it a great saw for home improvement projects for any beginning wood worker or a nice tool to have for an advance wood crafter that just want to get some projects done around the house in a hurry.
When looking for a jigsaw to fit your needs, you need to evaluation all the pro’s and con’s before purchasing any tool including a jigsaw. But that might not be as simple as you think at first, because there are a lot of factors to consider. You need to check out its features, plus learn more about the advantages as well as the disadvantages each jigsaw has to be able to compare it to another jigsaw.
This Black and Decker Jigsaw comes with a Sight line feature that can be viewed from directly above the jigsaw and the line of cut can be easily followed, but you also have an indent that can be used as an alternate cutting guide.To set a bevel angle:Just pull the shoe plate beveling lever out away from the saw to unlock the shoe plate,then slide the shoe plate forward to release it from the 0° positive stop position.The shoe on this jigsaw can be beveled to the left or to the right and has stops at 15°, 30° and 45°. Next set the plate to the desired bevel angle. You just set the plate to the desired bevel angle. As you set the shoe angle the amount of degrees can be read through the bevel angle window
Here are some of the pros and cons of the Black and Decker JS660 Jigsaw to help you choose the right jigsaw for you.
- The Black Decker JS660 has a low starting price, but you still get the right blades for the job.
- An adjustable smart select dial that has a range of 800-3,000 rpm of speed, plus it is very comfortable on the hand while using it.
- It is perfect for cutting different materials such as wood, plastic and metals.
- Tooless blade changes
- A tilted blade that delivers quick, accurate cuts and bevel angle adjustments of up to 45 degrees
- A rip fence that is is not included with the saw or sold in any stores.
- The jig saw has problems with cutting perfectly straight but there are suggestion on how to make it work.
- The lock switch on the jigsaw is difficult to lock and unlock.Which could be a safety problem for the user.
- Only comes with a metal cutting blade, wood blades need to be purchase separately.
- Quick release fitting that holds the blade simply does not hold it rigidly
- The Plate can be a few degrees off and can’t be fixed unless you move it and slide it back (where the nub underneath slides into the groove) and tighten it back which will set it level but then you cannot use the tilt function at all.
- Smart Select Dial with 7 pre-programmed settings
- A 5 amp motor with speed that range from 800 to 3,000 rpm
- 3/4-inch stroke length
- ccu-Bevel lever that adjust for up to 45 degree cuts
- Key-less Blade Clam for quick Tool free blade changes
- Blade storage on saw
- Dust blower and extraction tube
- 2-year limited warranty
This jigsaw has a good rating overall, but many of the complaints are due to it being a lower priced Black and Decker jigsaw. The quality is good for the price and many wood workers loved the versatility that it added to their tool box. The best price for the Black & Decker JS660 Jig Saw with Smart Select Dial I found is at Amazon.
What level of wood worker would this router fit? This jigsaw has a Fisher-Price look, but it still gets the job done. Designed more for a DIYer home owner or beginning wood worker than the professional contractor.